- Dried brown lentils - 2 cups
- Torn swiss chard - 6 cups
- Carrot (chopped) - 1 cup
- Onion (chopped) - 3 cups
- Low fat butter - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Ground cumin - 1 tsp
- Garlic (crushed) - 2 cloves
- Parsley sprigs - 2
- Bay leaves - 2
- Fresh lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Comine the lentils, carrots, salt, garlic, parsley, and bay leaves in a dutch oven, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet, and add in onion and cumin. Saute until browned.
- Stir the onion into the lentil mixture. Also add in the chard.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the chard is tender.
- Add in lemond juice and black pepper
- Yields 6 servings.
Click here for Quick and Easy Chinese Vegetarian Cook