Natural alternatives to headache pain relief are just as effective if you know
the cause of your headache. However, if you suffer from migraine, cluster or any
other serious types of headache, natural headache remedies may not help.
Here are some of the most common natural headache remedies.
1. Take a hot bath. The hot water helps to release contracted muscles and
generally relaxes the whole body, thus relieving tension headaches.
2. Exercise can relieve headaches that are caused by stress. Jogging, swimming
and taking a brisk walk will improve blood circulation, release tension and
relax your body.
3. Many headaches are caused by dehydration, which causes muscle contraction.
Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day is recommended, not only to
prevent and relieve headaches but essential to maintaining general well-being.
4. Hot or cold compress is great for relieving allergy, sinus and caffeine
5. Some oils such as lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint can relieve tension
6. Acupuncture or acupressure is a commonly used to treat stress or chronic
7. Massage is effective for relieving muscle tension in the head, neck and
shoulders, and reducing stress. It can help to relieve tension headaches in some
8. Establish regular sleeping hours and get sufficient amount of sleep every
day. The lack of or too much sleep may trigger headaches.
9. Poor posture can put a strain on your neck. Don't sit, stand or work in one
position for long periods of time. Good posture places minimal strain on your
muscle, ligaments and bones.
10. Avoid bright lights if they cause headaches to you. Staying in a room with
minimal lighting can provide relief to headache pain.
11. Avoid foods that trigger your headaches to prevent future attacks. Some
common food suspects are chocolate, red wine, nuts and cheese.
12. Reduce your caffeine intake.